Every year nearly 42,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral and throat cancers, and each year the American Dental Association reminds us all of the importance of being aware of oral cancer’s dangers and symptoms. When cancer is detected and treated early, treatment-related health problems can be reduced.
During your dental checkups, the Schumacher & Bauer team carefully examines your oral cavity for signs of mouth or throat cancer. Regular visits to our team can improve the chances of catching any suspicious changes in your mouth early, but between visits it’s important to be aware of the following signs and symptoms from MouthHealthy.org:
- a sore or irritation that doesn’t go away
- red or white patches
- pain, tenderness or numbness in mouth or lips
- a lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving your tongue or jaw
- a change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth
Watch this video from MouthHealthy to learn more about oral cancer screenings. Check out the full article for tips on how to keep your mouth healthy during treatment for oral cancer.
Source: MouthHealthy.org, “Oral Cancer“